Open to current IIDA Student Members Only! Not a member? Apply at http://www.iida.org/content.cfm/students or contact: [email protected] today!
The West Coast Chapters of IIDA (Northern Pacific, Northern California, Southern California, Oregon, Rocky Mountain, Hawaii and Southwest) are excited to offer charette competitions to IIDA Student Members as a way to highlight their exceptional talents while providing them with an experience that will better prepare them for their future as professionals.
The event is taking place Friday thru Saturday, November 2nd and 3rd at Forward Tilt in Scottsdale. Please note: the Charette will begin promptly at 9:00am on Saturday morning so please plan ahead so that you arrive on time. There is parking in front of the complex. Breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided.
On Friday, November 2nd during the evening there will be a project tour and a happy hour after to meet all of the student participants.
Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Flagstaff and Tucson Students: Your hotel will be booked by the event committee after you have purchased your ticket. Mileage will be reimbursed from Las Vegas, Flagstaff and Tucson. Flights will be booked by the event committee for Albuquerque students.
A Charette is an intense design exercise within a set (and often all too short) period of time. A derivative of the French word for ‘cart’, the term refers to a time when students of the école des Beaux-Arts would be so committed to their final projects that they would work feverishly on the final touches until a ‘cart’ came around to collect them. Some students would even climb up onto the cart and continue to put the finishing touches on their work as it was wheeled around the studio!
Charettes have since evolved to include sessions of ideation amongst teams. In the workplace, they are often used to kick-off and invigorate the schematic design phase. This collaborative setting allows for the free flow of thought between designers, where ideas build upon each other until a fitting concept or design solution is found.
Your participation demonstrates that you are committed to your area of study and upcoming profession! This is an exciting opportunity so please be prepared to show us your talent and remember that the winning team of 5 will advance to the West Coast Design Charette on April 5-7th, 2019 to be held this year in Denver, CO to compete with the winning teams from the seven West Coast IIDA Chapters. The winning West Coast Regional team will go on to the International IIDA Student Design Charette at NeoCon June 2019 in Chicago. All travel costs for the winning members of the teams will be paid for by IIDA. So, all you pay is your original $25 to register for the local portion of our event!
We have every confidence that you will be successful in your collaborative efforts and look forward to seeing your design solutions!
Rules and Supply List
- Each group will receive (2) 30”x42” boards to present the following:
- Narrative design concept for your solution.
- Necessary hand sketches, floor plans, renderings and perspectives to effectively convey your concepts.
- A model is not required, but if made, must be attached to the presentation board.
- The use of cell phones or tablets during the charette is allowed, however, the devices cannot be used in presentation or judging.
- No computers are allowed. All drawings are to be done by hand.
- There will not be access to a copy machine or printer.
- No spray adhesive (spray mount, super77, etc.) or glue guns are allowed.
- Bring any tools you believe would be helpful to convey concept and vision.
- Sample supply list to bring:
- Pens, pencils, erasers, colored pencils, pencil sharpener, markers, highlighters, tracing paper, graph paper, architectural scale, T-squares/triangles, templates, tape, glue sticks, liquid glue, double-stick tape, illustration board, magazines, books, scissors, x-acto knives, cutting surface, cardboard
- Finish materials to help create a palette such as carpet, tile, paint, fabrics, etc.